Sunday, February 19, 2012

A ruler to grow by...

Have I mentioned that I am not very good at measuring?  I blame two things - my impatience and my metric education.  If I was measuring with the metric system, I think I would have more success and less mistakes.  And yes, I could use the other side of the ruler but I get frustrated when I shop in inches, draw plans in inches and then try to convert as I measure and cut.  But I digress.  Last week's project was not intended to help me with my measuring handicap.  I am just darn proud of myself for it's completion because it took A LOT of measuring and patience.

I saw this item for sale online, via a Pinterest post.  I loved it - but did not want to part with my $69.95 plus shipping.  http://dearlillie.bigcartel.com/product/oversized-ruler-growth-chart

So I decided to make it myself.  It cost me $10.  Granted, I had a few things on my paint shelf that helped me out.  But I am pretty proud of myself.  I have to share the end result first.  Look how beautiful this is!!!!

It is going to hang in the kid's playroom and we are going to start measuring our children.  In a dream world I would love to keep it for when I have grand-kids.  Wouldn't it be fun to have everyone's measurements on one board?  And for the grand-kids to see how tall they are compared to their parents at each age?  And if I move, this sucker is going with me.

Here are the supplies you will need:

-1"x10"x6' - I choose to do it a little wider than the one found for sale online.  I thought it looked more proportional.
-black paint - I used a Behr sample jar I had on hand
-permanent marker - not too thick
-masking tape
-sand paper (medium grit)
-wood stain (I used an old container I found in the garage called English Chestnut)
-Clear poly (again, I found an can of satin finish poly in the garage - I wouldn't do anything glossy if you want to write easily on the growth chart)
-yard stick and small ruler
-number stencils (I went to Michael's first and didn't really like the number stencils they had on hand.  Home depot had these stencils by their mailboxes)

I took my board home ($7) and sanded it.  I tried to smooth some of the corners so that it wouldn't get nicked in the kid's playroom.  Choose your board wisely.  Make sure it is not warped.  Mine had a few knots in it and I like it that way.  I tried out a few stains from the dark and dingy paint closet in the garage.  I didn't want a dark ruler so I rubbed it on lightly.  

Next came measuring.  I was really nervous - knowing my skill level when it comes to measuring.  I used our dry wall measuring tool - which is a glorified yard stick.  I started the ruler at 6 inches since it will hang up off the ground.  I also measured only the feet, and every 3 inches at first.  I made the feet marks longer and 1/2 foot etc smaller.  I eyeballed it in proportion to the number stencils I had bought.  I tried to make it as balanced as I could.  I think my stencil is for 2 inch numbers, my foot line was 3 inches long, 1/2 foot 2 inches, etc.

After very carefully measuring each of these place for 6'(!!!), I used masking tape to tape about 1/4 inch wide area for each mark.  **I only taped off the lines for each foot, 1/2 foot, and 1/4 foot**  Then I painted away.  I wish I had spent $2 more and bought nice painter's tape.  When I pulled off the tape for the lines, they were a little bumpy.  I wonder if painter's tape would have had made a nicer edge.








Next I taped down my stencils ($3).  If I were to do this again, I would use a stencil brush instead of the same brush I had used for the lines.  And I would very carefully do 2 light coats.  I found the paint to bleed a little and made my #6 a little messy.

Once it dried, I used a permanent marker to do the "every inch" lines.  They are 3/4 inch long.  I was so nervous that I would slip up and have to sand the wood.  Then stain again.  But I was slow and patient.  So was my hubby.  This project took over the dining room for a couple of days.

Once everything dried, I put a very thin coat of poly.  I watch for dripping on the edges, since I made that mistake with my laundry room cabinets.  Then I flipped it over and added a picture hook exactly 6 inches down from the top.  I wanted to make it easier for hanging it at the right height.  Again, since I started the measuring at 6 inches, I need the base to be hung 6 inches off of the ground.




That was it!!  This could easily be done in a day - if you don't have kids and if you are a great at measuring.  But I needed to space it out and not rush.  End result - the hubby and kids love it.  And so do I.






7 comments:

  1. I have this pinned as well and I just bought the supplies last weekend! I can't wait to complete this project. Your turned out so cute!! Nice job! Visiting from YHL Pinterest party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! Good luck...it was really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one of these for my project too! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I just went to your blog and yours looks great too! Love Max standing proudly... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel...that looks great! I want to try and make one for my daughter's family. Thanks for sharing! Diania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I hope your daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rachel...how about...with all the experience and skill you've gained...you make it for me and send it with your parents? :) I am your dad's assistant...I could give you a sob story of chronic pain and cancer...blah blah blah...but mostly it just intimidates me! Lol I was telling your dad today...I thought we were fabulously cool! I hope to see you next time you're at the farm.

    ReplyDelete