Monday, February 27, 2012

Wires, lights, and frustration.

I hate electrical work.

I just wanted to be clear about this before I start this post.  This project turned out okay, but I did not end up with the result I wanted nor did I enjoy the process.  I love lighting, and I have updated 12 light fixtures in our house.  But Mark has always done the wiring for me.  Last night I decided on a whim to start an electrical re-wiring project, and to attempt to install it myself.  2 1/2 hours later, I asked Mark to do the the last step.  Ugh.  I have no idea why it frustrates me so much - I loved electricity in Physics!  But working with my hands up in the air, in a tiny little space, trying to get those darn little wires into the wire cap, only discovering that I had put the mounting bracket on upside down...  Well, you get the picture.




I wanted to turn this lovely outdoor wall mounted light into a beautiful hanging light for my laundry room.  I even took it out of the box at Home Depot to make sure this was possible.  And I am going to stand my ground that logically, this should have come apart as I intended.  I wanted to remove the side bracket, and rewire it through the top, and hang it from the ceiling.




I think the wider angle is kinda cute:






So I started to unscrew different bolts and brackets.  This is what it looked like before destruction.







Ahhh, the lovely mounting bracket.










See how *almost* everything came apart so nicely?







Except for this one, last bolt.  And I even batted my eyes and asked Mark to use his braun for this last little sucker.  It would not budge.  We used every tool available, minus a saw, to get this thing undone.











It was dinner time and we had to give up on the last bolt.  Caleb and Abby were happily building a fort during our battle with the light.  (a pirate themed fort?  I am not sure...)  But I knew they would start asking for dinner, so I had to give up for a little bit.  If they didn't want dinner every night....gee, I would get a lot done.  But who can resist these cute faces...










As soon as the kids were in bed, I went back to the drawing board.  I remembered a lamp shade I had up in the attic and decided to make a new light.  I took bits and pieces of the light fixture and built this light instead.


















Not bad.  Not what I had in mind, but it works.

























For the next 1 1/2 hours I attempted to wire said light fixture.  I have already complained about my wiring abilities.  I would like to add that the light I was removing was circa 1967.  The paint was completely chipped under the old light so I will have to add a ceiling medallion.








This is how it looks now.  I actually kinda like it.  I still have most of the parts left from my lantern destruction.  I will have to find something fun to make out of the parts that are left.  My goal was to save some money and turn a $30 light fixture into what I wanted instead of spending $75.  Was this frustrating evening worth $45????  I don't know.




No comments:

Post a Comment