Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas lights and burlap

Merry Christmas!!!

I love this season.  Everything about it...it is so joyful.
I have one last project to share with you...burlap covered Christmas lights.




I had seen this project on Pinterest, but with no help or tutorial.  Burlap wrapped Christmas lights...so pretty!  So I thought...how hard can this be?  I bought some burlap and cut long strips, and sewed a burlap "sock" for my white Christmas lights.  Well, to find out, there is a hard way and an easy way.  My first try at this took hours of frustration.  So here are some tips that I learned along the way.










1.  Don't make your burlap "sock" too long.  Burlap is not easy to turn inside out.  I ended up making two "socks" and pinning them together.  And when I was trying to turn my sock right side out after sewing it, I used a hanger and a large safety pin to pull the burlap through.  That definitely helped the process.



2.  Use high-end Christmas lights that remain lit even if one bulb gets broken.  This was the moment I almost threw everything in the trash.  After finishing the entire sewing part of the project, and yanking the Christmas lights through the "sock", I plugged the lights in and discovered that a bulb had broken.  And I had used cheap lights.  The lights wouldn't work, even when I replaced a bulb.  Don't be like me...I had to take out all of the lights and buy a new string to place in my burlap sock.  Very frustrating.







3.  Use an empty tube of wrapping paper to feed your string of lights into your burlap sock.  Once I discovered that the rough burlap would break my light bulbs, I wanted to find a better way to get the sock around the string of lights.

I used an empty tube of wrapping paper, and placed my lights in the tube.  Then I scrunched my burlap sock around the cardboard tube, and fed it along.  Granted, it didn't fit the entire length of lights.  But this was a MUCH smoother process than my first try...




4.  A string of lights is longer than you think.  I was shocked at how long my burlap sock needed to be. I guess I rarely have my Christmas lights strung out in a straight line.  I didn't realize how long one string would be.  Lets just say that I cut many strips of burlap....over and over and over again.





5.  Last but not least, double sew your edges on the burlap.  This might be a forgone conclusion, but it is a lesson I am learning.  Burlap frays easily.  I did a straight stitch first and then I went back with a wide stitch to make sure there was very little fraying.  I really don't want to have to do this project again.




Thats it!!  I only finished one of my burlap socks.  I am hoping to get one more done before I put everything in the attic for next year.  But since my first 2 tries took 5 hours...well, let's just say I am not as motivated as I should be.






No comments:

Post a Comment