Monday, December 10, 2012

Decorating for Christmas

I dropped my computer.

There, I said it.  That is my excuse for my lack of writing.  I just wanted to get my excuses out of the way.

Once I dropped my computer, it died.  Or should I say, it went into a coma and all of it's memory had to be erased in order for it to wake up.  The good news is that  I had backed up my computer in October.  The bad news is that I hadn't backed up my computer after downloading pictures from Nate's 1st birthday.  Sigh.  I guess that is the curse of the 3rd kid...no pictures.

In the meantime, I have worked on a few projects.  Of course, most of the pictures that detail the process have been lost.  I have been busy on the sewing machine here at home and at my friend's house.

The first project I worked on is a surprise gift from Santa for Abby...so please don't spoil the surprise.  She innocently still believes in Santa despite her big brother urgent need for her to "know the truth."  Numerous times this month I have heard Caleb informing Abby, "I know the truth about Santa.  I want you to know who he REALLY is."  Abby's reply..."Caleb...stop telling me stuff.  I don't want to know."  Love her.

Her main Santa gift is doll sleeping bags for Kit and Ruthie.  Abby has declared her new favorite color to be green and her favorite animal to be owls (with spiders as second!!!).



This was really fun.  I even put batting in the middle to make it feel like a real sleeping bag.  The biggest help was this tutorial on zippers.  It was my best zipper work yet.  Well, until I made a big mistake.



My really big mistake?  Ironing on the patches at the end and forgetting that I had a PLASTIC zipper.  Yep...I am really smart.



So Kit's bag has some....character.  On Christmas morning I will have Kit and Ruthie waiting in the sleeping bags.  I hope she likes it!




My next project was decorating some tomato cages with Christmas lights.  I had seen this project on pinterest and thought it looked cute and easy.


















I took 2 tomato cages and tied the tops.  Then strung white lights all the way down.




















It was super easy.  And I found this great star to put on top.




I love having some sort of outdoor lights.  And Mark likes that he didn't have to hang anything.















The last project was an act of love from my friend Rachel.  She is an excellent seamstress and I asked her to help me make a tree skirt to match some stockings I had ordered off of Etsy.  And she didn't just help...she sewed a beautiful tree skirt.





This picture does not do it justice.  My camera's flash died as I was taking these pictures.  And by the time I had new batteries, the tree skirt was covered in presents.  I will give an update after Christmas because it is the cutest tree skirt I have ever seen.  I think Rachel should start taking orders.



These are the matching stockings...using It's a Hoot fabric by MoMo.  I don't know why I love this fabric so much.  I used it on Abby's chair cushion and I am about to embark on another project for my Christmas set up.



This is only the 2nd time we have been home for Christmas...in our entire marriage.  That is almost 10 years!  I love decorating our home for Christmas and being here to enjoy it.  I think it is my favorite holiday.




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your outdoor christmas trees! I am going to steal that for next year. That stinks about losing Nate's birthday pictures. We lost our camera at the end of our vacation to Disney/Florida last year. Thankfully I had uploaded all our pictures each day at Disney, so I only lost the 2 days at the beach. Even so, I am a little sad about it. Our Caleb was only 4 months old and when we stayed at the beach, we had him sleep in a wicker drawer from the coffee table. We took a bunch of cute pictures, but I don't have any of them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping my in-laws have some photos on their camera. :( The Christmas trees are really easy...and the kids were able to help. I used the short tomato stakes. Next year I might use some big stakes near the patio.

    ReplyDelete