Thursday, November 8, 2012

Quick and easy glass etching

I have had the supplies for this project for months...and finally got to it this week.  Glass etching is so easy and fun.  And I love using letters around the house...I don't know why.  Ask any of my friends...grammar is not my speciality.  You would think I would have a "thing" for numbers.  Nope.  Letters.  And the "&" symbol.  I find myself drooling over interior design with the "&" symbol used somewhere in the design.  I need to get me one of those.

This particular project is going to be part of my Christmas decorations.  I can't believe that Christmas is around the corner.  Wow.



Joy...real joy...is at the heart of Christmas.  Christ's birth brings joy to earth.  I love Christmas.

Imagine these vases with white lights, pine cones...or maybe some burlap.  I didn't have the energy to dig through my Christmas decorations *quite* yet.  I have an "after Thanksgiving" rule.

My project took very few supplies...these 3 vases, stencils, a paintbrush, and Armour Etch.



Armour Etch is easy to find at Michaels or Joann Fabrics.  It is a small bottle but it goes a really long way.  I hardly made a dent with this project.  **side note...I just read the warning label as I uploaded this picture.  Yikes...use with caution!**

I placed my stencils, or should I say stickers, on my vases.  Because I was using the outside edge of letter stickers, I didn't have much of a margin.  I used tape on the edges to make sure my etching 'goo' didn't get anywhere else on the glass.  You can also use contact paper and pre-cut any design that you want.



I put the 'goo' in my letter area and tried to keep it even.  Remember that this etches the glass very quickly...you only have to leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes.  So don't let it get outside of your stencil area.



After 5 or 10 minutes, just wash it off.  That is it!  I did do a second coat on a few spots; I think my first coat wasn't as even as I would have liked.


That's it!  So easy...and endless possibilities.  I might have to try this again sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I've never tried etching but it looks relatively easy (no measuring involved) so I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete