Friday, March 2, 2012

The kid's bathroom.

Do you remember that project I mentioned?  The one in the master bathroom?  Yes, I am still avoiding it.  I decided to avoid the master bath and dream about the kids bathroom instead.  I love procrastinating boring projects...















The kids bathroom has had a few upgrades since our arrival 5 years ago.  (yikes...5 years is a lifetime record for me in one house...come June 1st, we will have to crack open some bubbly.)  I have replaced the vanity lights and I framed the 1960's mirror with moulding to make it "look" like I hung a big giant mirror.  The chocolate brown paint was a fun idea when we moved in, but I am a little tired of it.  So I decided to dream about what the bathroom could look like.



Since this is the kids bathroom (and guests), I decided to ask Caleb and Abby what they had in mind for their bathroom.  Wow, was I surprised at their passion for making this bathroom their own.  They both had very specific ideas.  Here is Caleb's drawing:





He asked for trees.  And clouds.  He said he "wanted nature in the bathroom, as if we had no walls to our house."  Love him.  So this is what I came up with from his drawing (from Apartment Therapy):






I showed Caleb my "sketch."  It did not go over well.  He wants the exact drawings he came up with...all four types of trees all over the wall.  He looked at my idea picture, and said that it needed more "color...blue and green."

Not knowing how to please him, I went to Abby.  I asked her how she wanted the bathroom to look.  Here is Abby's drawing:



Can you tell that both of my kids want more color in the bathroom?  Abby wants stripes everywhere.  She had a color for each person in our family.  Here is my interpretation for Abby's drawing (from This Old House):






When I showed Abby the picture, she said "Sure.  Looks great Mom."  When I showed Caleb my idea from Abby's inspiration, he got very quite and sullen.  "It needs trees.  Maybe clouds."

How do I combine these ideas?  The kids suggested trees on the walls and stripes on the ceiling.  I am glad Nate can't talk yet.  I don't know what I would do with all three kid's opinions.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thank you for not consulting me on the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete