Monday, March 26, 2012

Pillows from napkins and the color yellow.

When I was younger, my favorite color was yellow.  This was not an "emotional" color choice, if there even is such a thing.  My great, great grandmother made me a beautiful yellow quilt when I was born.  Here is a picture of it alongside a quilt my mom made around the time of my wedding:



Being the practical girl of the family, I decided on yellow as my favorite color so that everything could match.  Now that I think about it...how sad is that???  It wasn't until my teen years that I gave up the inherited yellow color theme and broke out on my own.  And left yellow in the dust.

Now fast forward 20 years.  I think I like yellow.  I find myself drawn to yellow in pictures, in the store, on Pinterest.  I am welcoming yellow back into my house.  And last week as I shopped the clearance racks at Target, I spied these beautiful bright yellow cloth napkins.


I think cloth napkins are the greatest things...and not just for the dinner table.  They are great for making pillow cases.  And I love throw pillows.  Take the cloth napkins and wash them.  Iron them if you feel so inclined (I usually don't feel so inclined.)  There are different ways you can design your pillow case. One option is to use 2 napkins back to back like this:










You can sew a zipper on the bottom or sew it shut.  Here is another pillow case from a Pottery Barn napkin that I did a few years ago.














I took white fabric and made a "pocket" opening.










So back to my yellow napkins.  I decided to try to be "fancy."  I sewed 2 napkins together, pattern side out, following the hem line.  I want a fun little border to my pillow case.



Now that I have done 3 sides, I have to add a zipper.  I am not an expert on zippers.  Here are some links to zipper tutorials.  here and here  If you look at these tutorials, they are great.  I looked at them, and did not follow them like I should have.  She said I would break a needle if I didn't follow the tutorial.  I broke a needle.  Go figure.









Don't be like me and try to take short cuts. The tutorials are great...really.  Regardless of my zipper mishap, I still came out with a working pillowcase.  If the zipper actually moves I call it a success.







And since I was opening the door to yellow, I decided to welcome it in to my home with a grand entrance.  I found this fun yellow table runner, also on Target clearance.




And I couldn't resist this lamp shade.  Remember my post about the laundry room light?  It has been bothering me.  It wasn't quite right.  So this yellow beauty is replacing my attic bound shade.  Don't be alarmed by these bold patterns.  I will post pics once everything is in place.  I use to shy away from bold patterns and fabrics.  I regret it every time.




So yellow is here to stay.  Here it is on the guest bed.  Bright and cheery.  I think I like yellow again...just because.  No rhyme or reason.  That is good enough for me!









And I had a few helpers...Abby made her first bag with her new sewing machine and Nate watched us both.















I love my helpers.










Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment