Sunday, April 1, 2012

Treehouse anyone??

I am excited to announce the arrival of the first ever Deering family treehouse - construction is scheduled to begin on May 11th.  Let the planning begin.  And by planning, I am thinking about the design.  I have a few ideas.











How about this one at Garden Design.  I am sure our guests would love to stay here.  Hmmm, maybe I can make it the master bedroom.  The kids don't REALLY need a treehouse, do they?





























Or maybe this one in an issue of Popular Mechanics.















This is a nice collection of decks in this intricate treehouse, also from the Popular Mechanics issue:




Well...I don't think the treehouse will look quite like my pictures.  I am guessing Mark has to keep his day job.  And I know my measuring skills are not up to snuff.  But since I was dreaming of treehouses,  I ordered these two books from Amazon:




























They are GREAT!  And extremely detailed.  They show how to build everything from a gang-plank to a hobbit house tree-fort.  The kids have been pouring over the books, dreaming of the perfect treehouse.  Each of them have designed their own perfect treehouse.








Here is Abby's first design:
















A pirate ship fort.  She found this page in one of our books and has requested this be built in our yard.  I think she loves all of the accessories.






















I had to break it to her that we weren't going to build this elaborate ship.  She wasn't disapointed for long.  She quickly came up with plan B.





















Here is a close up of Abby's plan B.  She asked me to write the explanations.  If you look closely, the design is a 2 story treehouse on the top of the tree/stump.  Again, quite elaborate!




Caleb also has some ideas.  Yesterday he took his sketch book outside so that he could get a closer look at the perfect tree.  Luckily, he is listening to our ideas about which tree we think would be best.  Here is Caleb's drawing:




Early this morning he added the descriptions.  This is actually pretty darn close to the idea we have in mind.  And of course, we need a pully with a bucket.  Every fort needs a pulley.











Here is the sketch from the book:


































And here is the tree we have selected:





























While taking pictures of the "perfect" tree, Abby found a new friend.  Maybe he can live in the treehouse.





































Now that we have a plan, we just need to get supplies.  I am hoping to hit up the Habitat Re-Store over the next few months, looking for extra supplies.  We will add windows and trap doors once we have the structure in place.  And there has been a suggestion for a rope bridge to another tree.  Here is an example:



I REALLY hope we get this far.  I have my doubts...this is already getting pretty complicated!  I will post pics once construction begins!











Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment