Thursday, April 26, 2012

Shower curtain or pool bag?

Things have been a little crazy at our house for the past few weeks.  Little Nate has had severe eczema attacks and we have been trying to figure out the irritants or allergies.  It is hard when the baby is too young to tell you what bothers him.  As of today, I am feeling like we are turning a corner.  We are armed with a topical steroid and have ruled out all of the food he has come into contact with.  That makes things much easier to cope with.

Needless to say, my long list of projects has remained untouched.  I noticed in the past few days that I was particularly grumpy and deduced that I had no outlet for me to recharge during these stressful few weeks with Nate.  I couldn't even get into my book for my book club - by the time I got him to bed, I was left with zero energy...especially mental energy.  I needed something that was not too challenging but not too mindless because I was also exhausted.

On Friday I found my inspiration and outlet for creativity.  A shower curtain.  I know...how and why was I inspired by a shower curtain?  I was walking through Target, trying to keep Nate entertained between naps and I noticed that they were clearance-ing out every shower curtain.  Our Target is getting a face lift and they are changing their inventory for the new "grocery" Target.  Did I mention the discount was on EVERY shower curtain from this past season?




So I came home with these two beauties.  Navy and yellow, $5 each.  I have been working on adding yellow to the guest room and I have been contemplating our outdoor patio area's new look this summer.  I don't know what I am going to do with these huge pieces of fabric but $5 for big sections of fabric is irresistible.

It was so irresistible, I went back to Target the next day.  I needed....umm...hamburger buns.  And I just happened to stroll back down the shower curtain aisle.  I bought a few more.  Most were $5, and my favorite was $8.



Here is my favorite:



It doesn't match the color scheme in my house, but I couldn't resist.  I love the the kelly green and the neutrals.  I went to bed dreaming of my new shower curtain.  And I woke up with a pool bag in my mind.  Sometimes I get my best inspiration in my sleep.

So I found this great tutorial for a pool bag.  But of course I couldn't follow it exactly.  This is a great tutorial - but here are my "additions."






I made my bag a little bigger then her tutorial - 20"/23".







I cut all of my pieces for my 1st bag. Yep, first bag.  I decided to make it a fancy pool bag with a lining.  So I used mainly white for my lining.













I faithfully ironed my edges and pinned everything down for my pocket.  I think I use my iron twice a year.  I really hate ironing.



I even made fancy corners like she told me in the tutorial.  I was really trying hard to follow the instructions.











I took a little break and hung out with these cute kids.  Abby noticed that Nate looked like a bumble bee and one of her favorite books is Ladybug Girl and Bumble Bee Boy.  So she put on her ladybug costume and wanted me to take a picture.  Who could resist.










I attached the pocket onto the white fabric, knowing that this would be the inside of my bag.












The next few steps were very simple - I sewed all of the pieces together to form a straight line.  I did use a wide zig-zag stitch to help stop the fabric from coming apart.










The bottom section of fabric was a little tricky.  I did have to go back and sew two of the corners by hand to make sure the seams wouldn't split.










And there is my inside bag!  It turned out pretty nice.  And I couldn't wait to get started on the next bag.  I cut all the fabric and went through all of the steps again.






Next I put the white bag inside out and placed it inside the colorful bag.  Then I pinned only the top seam, sewing both bags together carefully.  I also sewed down one side, along the seam, to give it a little bit more cohesion.




The handles took a little thought.  I wanted to utilize the grommets on the inside bag.  I cut two strips of fabric and made handles.  I am not sure how long they were...I just sized it to my arms.























And here is is, my new pool/beach bag.  I LOVE IT.  I can't help myself.  Should I tell people it was a shower curtain?





















And because I loved this fabric so much, I threw together this little purse at the same time.  I think it came to me in my sleep again.  And the handles were on clearance at JoAnn's for only $2.  I love wood handles.






I can't wait for summer to come.  I think the entire family's gear will fit in this bag.  And I love my purse - perfect for a night out with no little ones.  I have just enough fabric left to make Abby a matching purse.  I think she wants to sew it herself.  So fun.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment