Friday, August 10, 2012

Mommy therapy round 2.


I just finished my second pottery class.  I don't know what I am going to do for the next month as I wait for the fall session to begin!  Even though I learned a lot during this session, I still have soooo much to learn.

Here is an example.  This is the first mug I ever made.


Sad.  Lopsided and lumpy.  Now...here is the progression of the next 4 mugs...










You can't tell from the photo, but this green mug is a child size mug.  I love the glaze, but wish the handle was angled different.




























This cute red mug is Abby's mug.  The handle can only fit 2 of my fingers.  I love everything about it; just wish it was twice the size.




Next up, a giant blue mug.  You can't tell from the photo, but this one is a beast.  Mark likes to use it because it is so big.  Next time I will choose a different glaze combination.  This blue on blue isn't my favorite.



This last one is *almost* a success.  The glaze ran in the kiln, and a little spot on the back had to be hammered off from the kiln shelf.  But I LOVE this mug.

I look at the mugs and see all the mistakes.  But I must admit, I am not as bad as I use to be!








I always love bringing home a piece of pottery knowing that I created every aspect of it.  And I love throwing clay on the wheel.  It is methodical, artistic and calming all at the same time.  And I need all of those things.





My favorite part of this particular class was our Raku night.  Raku pottery is very unique.  We heat the pieces in small propane kilns, and then light them on fire.  Literally.  Here is a picture from Raku Art.












Next session I am taking my camera.  The class got to choose crackle, horse hair or copper.  I chose to make a copper Raku piece.  Here it is!




It turned out EXACTLY how I wanted.  The copper glaze can look different based on how fast you dowse the flames with water and how much water.



I love that this clay luminary looks like a hammered copper piece.  I can't wait to get back on the wheel!







2 comments:

  1. What a great description of your love affair with clay! Your artistic soul is indeed very attractive.

    ReplyDelete