Friday, August 17, 2012

My dog and mayonaise

This is our dog, Rusty.



He is a 9 year old Vizsla.  There are times that I love having a dog and there are days when I swear we will never get another dog.  The past few days fall into the latter category.
















This is an antique desk that belonged to Mark's grandmother, Grammie.  When we got it, it already had numerous scratches.  And I think we added a few more.


























































My friend Amy inspired this project with this post on her amazing blog.  Go check it out.


I took mayonnaise and slathered it all over the scratches and water marks.  It needed to sit for at least 1 hour.  After about 15 minutes, I noticed that it started to smell a little.
















The smell peaked my dog's interest.  I had noticed on Amy's blog that her dog had licked the mayonnaise off the table.  So I thought I would be ahead of the game and lock Rusty in our playroom with the big kids while I took a shower.  I told them not to let Rusty out.

When I came back to check on the cabinet, this is what I found.


Tons of deep claw marks all over the front of the desk.  I was so mad.  Not only had Rusty decided to lick the mayonnaise off, he jumped up on the desk and clawed away.

I am never getting a dog again.

Even if he looks like this as a puppy.  I swear I won't cave.




I will remember my cabinet and try really hard to ignore those floppy ears and big paws.


Sigh.  He was a cute puppy, right?

Well, I went back to the desk.  The scratches blend in after another coat of mayonnaise.  But I can still see the claw marks.  Life goes on.

Here is what it looked like before I started...



And here is the top of the desk, even after Rusty's mayonnaise feast...




The end result - the desk looks better than ever.  The mayonnaise works...just remember to keep your dog far away.




2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry Rusty clawed up your furniture trying to get at the mayonnaise. Crazy dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so mad...such a silly thing to be mad about. But it did work...the desk looks better than ever. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete