Sunday, September 30, 2012

Recovering chairs


In the midst of a busy season of life, I have kept busy recovering a few chairs.  I am not an expert in this area.  In fact, this was my second attempt at recovering the same rocking chair.  

Here is the end result, round 2 -



I love the blue and brown combination.  I used the fabric from my shower curtain collection.

This is the fabric I choose the first time....








Why in the world did I choose this fabric?  I have no idea.  So, I used one of my fabulous shower curtains and attempted round 2 of recovering the rocking chair.  I used this site to guide me.  I don't feel knowledgable at all in this area...so I have no recommendations other than choose fabric wisely.  That way you won't have to pull out millions of little nails - twice.





This is the same fabric I used on my mud room bench.  I love this color...and I am a sucker for tree and leaf patterns.  This rocking chair was a $20 find at a yard sale.  It is an antique "nursing" rocker.  With the new fabric, it looks bright and cheery in the guest room.
Next, I made a cushion for Abby's desk chair.  Lately I have fallen in love with It's a Hoot fabric by MoMo.  I don't know why, but I LOVE IT!  There are a bunch of fabrics, but this blue owl scene is one of my favorites.



Here is the chair.  Nothing fancy; yet.





I cut a piece of foam to fit the odd sized seat to my old Ikea chair.  I think we got these 9 years ago as newlyweds...these were the cheapest dining room chairs that we could find.


Next I cut two pieces of fabric aproximately 2 inches bigger then the shape of the foam.  I also sewed a nice hem all the way around each piece.

I layed the peices of fabric back to back, and sewed 3 sides.  Then I put it on the cushion, and placed a pin where my corners fell along the front of the new cover.  I removed the cover, and sewed a vertical line where I had placed my pin.  It creates a small triangle on the corner.

Then I slid the cover back on my cushion and viola...two nice corners!

 Once I knew that I had the sewing in place, I took my cushion and sprayed it with adhesive, and wrapped the entire cushion in batting.  It gives it a little bit more 'umph.

Next I worked on small ties for the back of the cushion to attach to the chair.  I used scrap fabric and made 2 10 inch strips, and attached them at the corner seam at 5 inches.






 Lastly, I dealt with the third side.  I wanted to create a pocket opening so that I could wash the cover when needed.  But I was too lasy to sew on a zipper.  So i folded it like a present and stiched it numerous times on each side.  The flap stays put *most* of the time.  If I were to take more time with the details, I would add snaps or buttons.



















After spray painting the Ikea chair white, Abby's new desk chair is done!  She loves the fabric and she has declared blue her favorite color.  I love it!




2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed with the garage sale rocking chair find and the way you recovered it. Its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie. I am a sucker for garage sales...

    ReplyDelete